The lovely little Chapel of
Clandeboye, on the estate of the Marquis of Dufferin and Ava, stands
within the Parish of Bangor Abbey.
It is the private chapel of
the Blackwood family, but visitors are always welcomed.
The Blackwood family came
from Scotland early in the 17th century.
Their direct ancestor was
Blackwood (1591-1663), merchant, and Provost of Bangor, whose tomb-stone
is preserved in the Abbey.
Other members of
the family were also buried in the Abbey Graveyard. Sir
of Ballyleidy (1721-1779) married Dorcas Stevenson of Killyleagh
(created Baroness Dufferin and Clandeboye, 1800), descendant of
Archibald Hamilton of Halcraig Lanarkshire, 2nd son of Revd. Hans
Hamilton, vicar of Dunlop, Scotland, and brother of James, 1st Viscount
Their son, Frederick, 5th
Baron and 1st Marquis of Dufferin and Ava (1825-1902) was one of the
notable figures of the Victorian era. He had a distinguished career as
Governor-General of Canada, Ambassador to Russia, Viceroy of India,
Ambassador in Rome and later in Paris. A memorial to him stands to the
west of the City Hall in
Belfast. He married Hariot Rowan Hamilton of Killyleagh in 1862.
On retiring from public life,
Lord Dufferin planned the Private Chapel, producing many of the designs
and details himself. The Chapel was consecrated on 1st January 1898.
contains the shaft of the Celtic High Cross of Bangor; the tomb-stone of
Captain Alexander Hamilton of Granshaw, 2nd son of the Revd. Patrick
Hamilton of "Inner Weeke" (Enderwick), Scotland, brother of James, 1st
Viscount Clandeboye; also several ancient stones of historical interest,
from the Middle East.
Details of all these may be seen in the Chapel.